There are many opportunities to get creative and compose your own lyrics, songs, melodies or whole symphonies if you wish. Here are some great opportunities for young composers and lyricists to get involved with.
'The Real Heroes' Composition Competition
Our new competition for Spring/Summer 2020...
Extension until 29th June 2020!!!!
Following GM's recent 'Superheroes & Villains' composition competition we would like to encourage our young musicians to compose during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.
The composition should reflect the sterling work our emergency services are doing in keeping us safe and well during these unprecedented times. The competition is open for pieces up to 5 minutes in length and can be for any Gloucestershire Music county group.
Successful composers will get to hear their work performed by one of our youth groups at a concert during the 2020-21 season and recorded live.
1-2-1 composing tuition is available, please contact email@example.com to arrange.
Rules & Regs
- Base your piece around one of the emergency services.
- The competition is available for young composers up to the age of 18.
- Your composition should be at least 2 minutes in length and no longer than 5 minutes.
- Make sure your piece is new and your own work.
- You are free to compose for either an orchestra (Gloucestershire Youth Orchestra), Jazz Band (Gloucestershire Youth Jazz Orchestra), String Orchestra (Gloucestershire Youth String Orchestra), Wind Band (Gloucestershire Youth Wind Orchestra), Brass Band (Gloucestershire Youth Brass Band) or Choir (Gloucestershire Youth Choir). Alternatively you can write for a combination of the above ensembles or your own combination of players as long as you are confident that you (and your friends) will be able to perform it.
- Avoid adding a lyric to the theme unless you are writing for choir.
- We will choose the winning composition(s) (there may be more than one chosen) and inform the lucky winners by Friday 11th July 2020.
- Your entry must be sent to us by Monday 29th June 2020.
- Please send entries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a written score in PDF format. You may also like to accompany your score with a mp3 recording.